565-579 Yates Street

Date of construction of original buildings: 1880s

565-579yatesThe block between Langley Street and Government Street was home to a variety of businesses in 1907. They included Bissenger & Co – hides, the Bank of British North America, Martin Mitchell & Co, brokers, Arthur R Sherwood – real estate, Leonard McLeod Gould – stenographer, Alfred Caiss – barrister, William B Smith – undertaker, and W G Allen’s news stand. All these buildings, along with their counterparts along Government Street were demolished in preparation for the construction of the new Dominion Post Office that was completed in 1949.


This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund

Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards

Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography