Date of construction: 1883
Architect H. O. Tiedemann built a two-storey L-shaped brick and stucco warehouse at 516 Yates Street for Sidney John Pitts in 1883. The Italianate-style structure was built to accommodate “the requirements of his rapidly increasing business.” Pitts was a wholesale grocer and importer of provisions. His building had frontages on both Yates Street and Waddington Alley, wrapping around its neighbour at 518 Yates. Sidney and his wife Margaret had five children at the time of the 1891 Victoria census. She died in Victoria in 1900 while he lived until August 1, 1942. Pitts owned several properties around Victoria and lived on St. Charles Street so his business must have been very profitable. This building, like its neighbour at 518 Yates Street, was used by the Salvation Army Harbour Lights program for years until the organization built a new structure at the other end of Waddington Alley. It was restored in 1990 by the Canadian Hostelling Association.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography