Date of construction: 1878
This two storey commercial building was built for John Wilson who also owned the Garrick’s Head Saloon (located behind this building on Bastion Square). In 1907, it was operated as a saloon.
Over the years, it has housed may different businesses, including barristers due to its proximity to the law courts.
The front facade was altered in 1910 when the windows were changed from arched to square openings. Today, it is the home of Breeze Clothing Store.
In 1986, this building was one of six that were consolidated into the Alhambra Project. The interiors were gutted, facade material that had been added over the years was removed, recessed entrances were reinstated, and recycled materials and reproduced architectural detailing was used wherever possible.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography