King Edward Hotel
Date of construction: 1891
Top floors added c. 1904
The top two floors were built over an existing one-storey block of stores which included the Dawson Hotel, when this building was converted to a luxury hotel. A building permit dated January 1, 1905 notes: “B.C Land & Investment Agency – Remodeling Dawson Hotel (now King Edward) Yates Street – $10,000.” The third storey has Romanesque windows with stone arches and lintels.
In 1907, it was still known as the King Edward Hotel and also housed Wescott Bros. dry goods and S. A. Stoddart jeweler. However, by 1922, it was rented out as housekeeping rooms. Prohibition in 1917 had forced the closure of many hotels.
In 1997, A. & B. Sound moved into the building and undertook extensive renovations. With the demise of the business in 2008, the building underwent further modifications and is now the home of Atmosphere – outdoor equipment and clothing.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography