Date of construction: 1891
The building known as the Lewis Building at 566-570 Yates Street was built in 1891, although there had been a hotel on that site since 1885. During the 1890s, it contained one of Victoria’s most popular saloons. The building is noted for its elaborate brick detailing and granite lintels. The front facade is crowned by a ornate cornice with a false front. When the streetcar traveled by the lower floors were inhabited by B. C. Hughes real estate office, Hugo Boss Realty Co., General Agency Corporation, the Province Cigar Co, Imperial Life Insurance Co., James H Greer Ship Brokers, and BC Saddlery Co Ltd. Sarah Flemming ran a “boarding hotel” on the upper storeys. The hotel was renamed the Kings in the late 1940s and, in 1975, was the first beer parlour on Vancouver Island to introduce dancing with live music. The building has been restored on two occasions, both of which respected the heritage character. It is still operational today.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography