The next building up the block – at 555 Yates Street was occupied by John Piercy & Co wholesale drygoods in 1907. At that time, this was on the corner of Court Alley and Yates Street. The land between Court Alley and Langley Street was home to the Bank exchange Saloon and Restaurant that at one time was owned by H. Siedenbaum, the owner of the Palace Saloon. It seems to have changed ownership on a regular basis and was constantly in the news for liquor infractions during the years around the turn of the twentieth century. These buildings were demolished when the Bastion Square Parkade was built.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography