Date of construction: late 19th century
Although most of the south side of the 500-block of Yates Street is not visible on the video, it is nonetheless historically important. This side of Yates Street was cut into small portions by a series of alleyways and streets, some of which remain today. In 1907, businesses were Joseph Boscowitz and Sons fur dealers at 503 Yates Street, Harry Donkin and Son, commission agents, at 507 Yates, Paterson Bros wholesale fruits, at 511 Yates Street, and Lenz and Leiser Ltd. wholesale dry goods at 517 Yates Street. The buildings that housed these businesses between Wharf Street and Commercial Alley were demolished and replaced by modern structures beginning in 1947.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund.
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards.
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography.