Date of construction: 1912
Architect: William Ridgway Wilson
Wilson’s is Victoria’s oldest firm of clothiers, founded in 1862, the year the City was incorporated. They have always conducted business from this location. This building was the result of a complete rebuilding of an earlier one, that may have dated to the late 1870s. The building reflects the growing confidence in the City of Victoria at a time when many older buildings were being replaced by Edwardian-styled masonry and stone structure.
When the streetcar came past in 1907, the older building was still there.
Today, the firm still operates from the historic location.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography