Date of construction: 1907
Architect: William Ridgway Wilson
This two-storey Edwardian Classical Revival brick structure was built for Edward Mahon, a real estate agent and member of the firm Mahon, McFarland and Proctor. He was involved in much of the planning of North Vancouver. This building, clad in glazed brick replaced an earlier structure that had burned.
In 1907, Ogilve Hardware Co. Ltd. occupied the main floor with Homer Burgess- dentist, Globe Agency Ltd, A. B. Ellis – real estate, Canavan and Mannell – real estate, William Blair – photographer, and Griffen W. Jones – financial agent in the upper storey offices.
It was known to generations of Victorians as the home of Spencer’s Department Store, the place to find obscure items that were not stocked by any other outlet. Spencer’s specialized in camping gear, tools, footwear, and clothing.
In 1986, this building was one of six that were consolidated into the Alhambra Project. The interiors were gutted, facade material that had been added over the years was removed, recessed entrances were reinstated, and recycled materials and reproduced architectural detailing was used wherever possible.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography