Southgate and Lascelles Building
Date of construction: c. 1869; additions 1887
This building was originally built as a one storey structure for J. J. Southgate and H. D. Lascelles’ general merchandising firm. Southgate was a local politicans, real estate speculator and businessman. The second storey with elaborate window surrounds was added in 1887. At that time the building was occupied by Lenz and Leiser Wholesale Dry Goods. The building features a bracketed cornice, brickwork, pilasters and strong lines.
In 1907, the building was the home of the Canadian Pacific Railway office. Victorians will remember this office that remained open for several decades.
In 2009, the storefront was vacant.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography