Date of construction: 1884
Designer: Dennis Harris
When first built, this building contained a realtor’s office and a jewellers shop. Levi W. Myers, United States Consul, maintained a suite of offices on the second floor. Charles Redfern who owned the jewellery store, was Mayor of Victoria in 1883 and again in 1897-1899.
One of the features of his store was a clock, clearly visible in the 1907 video.
In 1907, in addition to Redfern, the tenants were A. Bancroft – confectionery and dentists Richard Nash and A. A. Humber. For many years in the mid-20th-century, this was the home of Brand’s Restaurant.
In 2009, the building is home to a Gelato shop and a coffee shop, with offices upstairs.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography