Date of construction: 1891
The two-storey brick commercial building was built for Miss Margaret Doane, the daughter of Joseph Homer Doane and Charlotte Elizabeth Doane, at a cost of $10,000. She had inherited her parents’ properties on the death of her mother in January 1899. Featuring five bays, the conformity of the roofline is relieved by the central section with its slightly-raised roofline and round-headed windows. Pilasters define the divisions between the bays and a corbelled cornice draws the eye up to the skyline.
In the 1890s, it housed a variety of businesses including A. Bruce’s Veribest and Co. fruit and tobacco dealers, McMillan Bros. grocers, and J. M. Nagona & Co.’s Oriental Bazaar that featured Japanese “fancy goods.”
By 1907, the businesses were: George William McNeill – picture framer, William Duncan – harness shop, Oriental Bazaar – now owned by Wanibe and Matsouka, Pullman House lodging run by Mrs. Bessie van Sicklin, Yet Sing and Co. – Chinese silks, and G. H. Bissell, tailor.
The diverse use continues today with a variety of tenants offering goods and services. The building was renamed the Morgan Block after a later owner.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography