Craft and Morris Block
Date of construction: 1888
Built originally for William Craft’s dry goods business, this was once one of the most highly decorated facades in the area.The Victorian Italianate structure, built of brick, had decorative window hoods, finals and parapets and a splayed corner entrance. It has been severely altered over the years, including a stucco application over the brick facade and removal of parapet details. The street level retail use continues, although the store fronts have been altered so drastically that little of the original remains.
In 1907, it was the home of the Direct Importing Tea and Coffee Company, J. Bray – manufacturer’s agent, W. Jackson and Co, druggists, and F. E. Hewartson dry goods.
In 2009, the lower floor is occupied by the 7-11 Convenience Store and the upper storey is consolidated with the second storey of the IOOF hall (1307-1315 Douglas) and is used for Lodge activities.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the Hbc Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography