Date of construction 1878; Additions 1910
This early Victoria building was built for grocer Thomas Nicholson. By 1885, it was used as a C.P.R. hotel with a dining room on the second floor. From 1887, it was the home of the Regent Saloon where notorious owner Bill Anderson was known to jump up on the bar and referee fights. On the second floor was Barney Levy’s cigar factory where his crew rolled “Pride of Victoria” cigars.
The building has been changed substantially over the years with an addition to the rear on 1910 and the addition of stucco to the brick facade. Several windows on the second floor have also been altered.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the Hbc Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography