Date of construction: 1896
The building on the corner of Government and Yates Streets is the Adelphi Block. Designed by Thomas Hooper and built in 1896, it takes its name from the Adelphi Saloon that had formerly been on this site. It was built by the B C Land Company as a speculative store and office space. H. L. Salmon, tobacconist, occupied the main floor for many years while the upstairs was used as the BC Electric Railway employees room in 1907 – as the street car travelled by. The building is now the home of Field Shoes.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards
Principal Photography & Consultant: Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography